marți, 18 iunie 2013

CL Of 2NE1 Claims Crazy Outfits In 'The Baddest Female' Video Are Meant To 'Break The Mold That People Have Of Asian Women'

2NE1 singer and rapper CL wants to break down people's expectations of Asian women.

In an interview Thursday with the publication edaily, the South Korean star explained that the reason for her flamboyant clothing in "The Baddest Female" music video (and a collection of accessories that includes gold grillz) is to break down the public's expectation of what it means to be an Asian female.

"I wanted to let people know that there are people in Asia who do this kind of music wearing these kinds of clothes and gold teeth," CL said.
"Although it might not look pretty to some, I wanted to break the mold that people had of Asian women."

The 2NE1 singer and popular solo star said that she recalls first encountering the stereotype that Asian woman are weak while she was a child.

"When I was younger I went to an international school and felt that there was bias about Asian females," CL recalled.

"I wish that women in Asia would be able to have a bigger voice. I [wish] that women would become stronger."

Although it may be for the worthy cause of Asian female empowerment, the K-pop performer admits even she had her doubts about the grillz.

"When I put on the gold teeth, I thought for a long while if I should do it or not," CL said.

"I need to get married and have a baby. My mom is worried what my future child would think if she knew that I put on gold teeth. I hope that my future child would know that my appearance on stage isn't all of me."

Although "The Baddest Female" has earned more than 4.5 million YouTube views and debuted at number 20 on the Billboard K-Pop Hot 100, CL faced some critical backlash for the video.

Earlier this month, Billboard Magazine critic Jeff Benjamin accused her of ripping off Nicki Minaj's chameleon-esque wardrobe changes.

 "Like Nicki Minaj does in her music videos, CL showcases her different personalities like her fierce, grillz-wearing rapper personality and her softer side dancing with a toddler at the video's end."

Others have pointed out a similarity between CL's ghetto glam vocal rapping on "The Baddest Female" as being similar to Minaj.

But whatever the 2NE1 star is doing on the track, it is driving Seoul Beats critic Nabella crazy.

"CL can also hold a solid note and sing a pretty tune, but she doesn't show any of that here," she writes regarding "The Baddest Female."

"She basically talks her way through three minutes and forty seconds of force fed YG over-swag."

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu