marți, 17 iunie 2014

Star Timeline: ‘Youngbae's Music’ Taeyang devotes half his life to music

taeyang_star_timeline_005
No stars just drop from the sky. This applies especially to a K-Pop star whose stage is the world. To become a star, they spend 3 to 4 years of patience and hard work. Training in teenage years is harsher than anything. During these years of training, countless youths quit, being unable to handle the merciless pressure placed upon them. They tuck away their dreams, half willingly and half due to tough reality.
The same harsh years were placed upon Taeyang (Dong Young Bae, aged 26) the lead vocalist of BIGBANG. As a trainee, he fought against himself at the YG Entertainment Headquarters in Seoul Hapjeong for 6 years—that’s 2190 days, or 5256 hours. He chose this path in 6th grade, when he could have spent the years hanging out with friends or doing mischievous things. That’s why he was even more determined. He never tried to cheat, and his 6 years were filled with honest hard work. And his hard work paid off. In 2006 he made a debut as a member of BIGBANG, and now he stands at the top, shining bright.
taeyang_star_timeline_002
The hero of this week’s “Star Timeline” Taeyang’s “time slip” location is the old headquarters in Hapjeong where he fostered his dream. The new one was built in 2011, but the old one remains as the “dream fosterer” for trainees. The place with bittersweet memories also remains the same way to Taeyang, who recently unveiled his 2nd full album “RISE,” as his “growth stimulator.”
taeyang_star_timeline_003
Looking around the old headquarters on June 15, Taeyang comments, “This place has changed a lot. But what remains the same is the humidity.” Like someone visiting a childhood playground, Taeyang seemed like he was transported back to 12 years ago. He began pouring out the stories that were kept in his heart.

#1. What the 13-year-old Taeyang said changed his life forever: “I want to be a singer”
taeyang_star_timeline
-Since when did you want to become a singer?
“I loved music since I was little. But I didn’t express it since I was too shy. When I was in 4th grade, going to acting academy was in. My family was having financial difficulties so I was sent to my aunt’s and I tagged along my cousins who went to the academy. YG was choosing a children version of Jinusean so I auditioned for it. And I appeared in Jinusean’s music video. I encountered hiphop for the first time, and I wanted to become a trainee there.”
-Did you tell that to Yang Hyun Suk yourself?
“Yes I did. After working with Jinusean, I had to go back to my old life. But I didn’t want to. I went to Yang and said, ‘I want to become a singer. Let me train here.’ And he goes, ‘Ok, let’s do it.’ I think he liked how determined I was at a young age.”
-That wouldn’t have been easy for a 6th grader to say.
“Asian financial crisis hit my family hard when I was in 4th grade. I didn’t understand what was going on. On one hand I hated that life, but on the other, I thought I should find something I am good at and help my parents out.”
-What was your first impression of your boss, Yang Hyun Suk?
“I thought he was ‘really huge.’ Back then, it felt like he was the largest and bulkiest man I have ever seen so far.”
-Your parents must have been very concerned.
“At the beginning, yes. But they gave me one condition: ‘You are doing this on your own will. Do not ask for help. You must get good grades at school.’”
taeyang_star_timeline_004
-You met G-Dragon for the first time around then?
“Jiyong was part of an underground hiphop group back then, until he was chosen by YG. We sometimes fought when after becoming trainees but we only had each other. We were unable to have a normal school life, so all I have of my childhood memories is with Jiyong.”
-You must have also seen him as your competitor?
“Back then, YG already viewed Jiyong as a trainee and an artist. I was a trainee who walked in to the building on my own will. I did feel that I was treated differently to Jiyong. So I wanted to learn more. Of course, I partly did see him as a competitor.”

#2. Dong Young Bae’s teenage life: Precious moments with Kwon Jiyong
taeyang_star_timeline_005
-How was life as a trainee?
“It was like I was part of the real world. Since I was thrown into the real society after only spending time at home and school, I had a difficult time because I didn’t really know all the social etiquettes.”
-It must have been really hard.
“It was. Especially because it took so long to get there from my house, which was in Euijeongbu. I finish school at 4 and leave for Hongdae on a bus. I arrive at 6 and train until 11, and run to the bus stop to catch the last bus. It would be 1 am when I arrive in Euijeongbu, and I had to walk half an hour to get home. And then I do homework, and go to sleep after 3 am. My daily pocket money was 2000 won, and I would be left with just 400 won after all the bus trips.”
-What did they teach you at the agency?
“The current trainees are trained under a systemic structure, but back then, watching over the shoulders of more experienced dancers and singers was all we got. But we were able to learn how to be a person before becoming a singer. We start by cleaning the agency. Hon Pyo, who is the head of the department, was like the strict watcher back then. He would check how we cleaned, and if he finds a piece dust, we would have to do it all over again.”
-Were the more experienced artists friendly and did they teach you techniques?
“It was hard to talk to them. They were already stars. They weren’t that warm to us. I was so jealous when members of 1TYM displayed on the floor their newly bought outfits from the U.S. for their 3rd album, and it filled the huge room. Jiyong and I told each other ‘When we become singers, we can wear outfits like them.’ Teddy was my favorite. I always told myself I would become a rapper like him.”
taeyang_star_timeline_006
-When was the hardest time?
“I could laugh about it now, but it was when YG Family’s 2nd album came out. Jiyong was singing the title song “Hiphop Gentleman” with other artists, and I was lucky enough to record one of the tracks. YG Family won an award on Music Awards, and I was watching it on TV with my mother. Sean, after receiving the award on behalf of the group, was naming all the artists involved in the album. I never expected him to name mine, but he really ended up not mentioning me. My mother asked me why my name wasn’t called despite getting involved in the album. I felt so bad, and I wanted to hide.”
-Your dream was to become a rapper, but now you are a vocalist.
“One day boss asked me if I have friends who are good at music. So I introduced T.O.P to him. The moment boss saw him he asked T.O.P to sing. He was a rapper. Because R&B was more in than hiphop back then, boss asked everyone to sing first. After much hesitation T.O.P sang R. Kelly’s ‘I Believe I Can Fly.’ And I think he was nervous, he stopped in the middle. It was so awkward that I continued singing. That was the turning point. Boss told me, ‘You can sing as well. Practice singing more.’ We talked about why I became the vocalist amongst ourselves recently and remembered this story, and we all laughed our heads off.”
taeyang_star_timeline_007
-Any memories outside the training room?
“Jiyong moved to Ilsan so we went to La Festa a lot. Back then online community messaging was popular among high school students. When there were rumors of a “pretty” girl, Jiyong would send her messages and actually meet up. We would eat out and go to karaoke and stuff. But the sad part is, most girls were just really photogenic. Haha. Jiyong made possible to do all these things that I would never dream of. I sometimes want to go back to the old times when Jiyong and I hung out in Ilsan.”
#3. 23-year-old Taeyang, hit by a crisis and another opportunity
taeyang_star_timeline_008
-How was BIGBANG created?
“I thought Jiyong and I would be a duo. But boss was planning to make a boy group. First, Hyun Seung (currently a member of Beast) joined us and we used the same dorm from when we were 17. Then he left, and T.O.P, Daesung and Seungri joined. Back then, Jiyong and I didn’t want a boy group. We knew T.O.P well but didn’t know the other two at all, and their roles weren’t clear either. I didn’t know how I would get along with them. But after training, we realized that we connect really well.”
-BIGBANG wasn’t very successful at the start.
“That’s true. “Pretty” boy groups like TVXQ were in. We weren’t tall, nor did we dress pretty. People just thought, so there’s a group like BIGBANG. That’s why we continuously released singles. We released one a month, and during the preparation period we went to different newspapers for interviews. We would go on TV once the album was out, so we didn’t have time to sleep.”
-And then “LIES” became a huge hit, like a lie.
“Originally that song was Jiyong’s solo. But boss thought it would be better if BIGBANG did it together. Our music changed from hiphop to electronic. But the outcome was great.”
-And thus the heyday of BIGBANG began.
“After that one hit, 4 songs “Haru Haru,” “Last Farewell” and “A Flaming Sunset” in a row became huge hits. And we started receiving grand prizes at music awards. But that was just work. We didn’t get one day of break. No time to celebrate. We wondered if we would be able to eat a meal. After the success in South Korea, we were told to ‘start from scratch’ in Japan.”
-BIGBANG had its ups and downs.
“For years all we did was work. The workload led to some invisible cracks among the members. We were exhausted, and we became edgy, but we had to see each other everyday. While doing solo each may have thought a group is not needed anymore. So we became nervous. I thought, are we going to end like this? I agreed back then that idol groups do not last 5 years. And just like that, bad things started to hit us. Members went through ups and downs, and it affected all of us for a while. I was heart broken. I wasn’t the one going through it all, but someone so close to me having a hard time was very difficult to watch. I was pushed to the edge, and then I thought, I do not want this to end. I do not want to be separated from the members.”
taeyang_star_timeline_009
-Do you still have personal plans that you want to pursue?
“The things we went through affected all members a lot as well. People say solo promotions are for the group’s benefit. But being human, people tend to focus on themselves more. But we are different. We realized that without BIGBANG, we couldn’t do what we want to pursue.”
-Have you ever fell off track?
“I once fell off track big time. The four of us filmed a beer commercial, except Seungri who was underage, and we thought after filming it, let’s drive far away in Daesung’s car and hide for a week. We would get caught if we used credit cards, so we even thought about withdrawing huge amounts of cash. We were going to do this when the manager drops us off at the dorm, but he dropped us off at the office. Boss wanted to talk to us. We were nervous, and soon found out he knew about our plans. Seungri told on us. Boss was kind though; he asked us what was giving us a hard time. So we thought, instead of losing our direction, we should talk it out.”
#4. Heart-breaking first love of 21-year-old Taeyang
taeyang_star_timeline_010
-What was your first love like?
“I am deeply wounded by it. I started liking her before my debut, and I started seeing her after the debut. But because I was so busy I couldn’t confess my feelings, and we spent years just having a crush on each other. I had an important task of making a debut, and I couldn’t date her. But I did see her once in two months. The power that love gave me was infinite. She made me think I should become the best. Her presence was bigger than work for me. That’s why I could hold on despite not being able to see her often. But it wasn’t the same for her. I couldn’t get in touch with her for a while so I was getting anxious, and later found out there was someone else. Everything lost meaning in my life. Everything felt futile, and music felt like work. If this kind of love cannot have a happy ending, I wonder what real love actually is.”
-Are you dating anyone now?
“I didn’t date often, but I did date. But I am too busy to see anyone, or have the opportunity.”
taeyang_star_timeline_011
-You said you want to become an artist that touches people’s hearts. Now that you have become a singer, do you have any other dreams?
“Not much has changed. I still want to become an artist. I don’t think my dream is complete yet. What I pictured in mind was becoming like Michael Jackson. Singing on stage in front of tens of thousands of people while inspiring them. I have much more to do. There is so much I want to show.”
-You must have created a lot of great memories with BIGBANG members while you were on World Tour.
“After the concert in London, we went to a club. We were the only Asians. I think people were intrigued to see Asians enjoying the music dressed in cool outfits. Local people approached us asking what brands we were wearing, and added us on their social media. “Gangnam Style” was in at that time, so people asked us, ‘Do you know PSY?’ I like explaining things, so I told them we belong to the same agency.”
-What does YG mean to Taeyang?
“It’s my youth. I am 26 now, and I spent half of my life at YG. I will spend more of it here from now on. The agency became huge now. Artists became more diverse. The old headquarters is the same. When I first walked in, I thought everything changed. But the humid smell is till there. Back then, everything happened in the basement—from recording and practicing to management. I think it was most “YG Family-like” back then. The agency is too big to be called a family now. It’s like a YG Town now.”
taeyang_star_timeline_013
taeyang_star_timeline_014

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu